Sunday 5 April 2015

CASology Challenge - Week # 140

Hope everyone (on this side of the world) had a wonderful Easter Sunday and to those who have just started, Happy Easter to you!! We've had a lovely, lazy day as a family and finished off with dinner at my Mum's house. So feeling extremely full right now.....


One of the things I love about the CASology Challenge is that not only is it a fun one to enter (and a good challenge for my crafting brain) but I also tend to learn something new. I always ask Uncle Google what the 'cue word' means and get some amazing descriptions. 

For the word 'Spring', the one definition that stuck with me is:

- A flock of Teal is called a 'Spring'

Isn't that fabulous??! I've never heard this at all and think its a wonderful way to describe a group of flying ducks, maybe flying off to a new nesting site for Spring itself. Turns out I don't have any duck stamps but I do have a flying bird:


My original idea for this card was to mask off a circle area and stamp the bird in 'teal blue' but it didn't work. This design kept changing as I went along, which happens quite often for me and I'm so happy with where it ended up.

I actually started by stamping the bird all over the card front in Versamark Ink and heat embossing in white. I used a mini blending tool and Peacock Feathers Distress Ink and started blending (very lightly) in one area but ended up colouring the whole card. I then got a circle die and cut out the best spot, as well as cutting out an extra 4 circles in white CS. These were all stuck together. I grabbed a new card and die-cut the circle from the front and added a piece of white CS behind the hole. The layered circle was adhered in the hole, I stamped the sentiment in blue and added the enamel dots.

I don't know how this turned into a baby card but I love it. Baby cards are something I find really hard to make and I like this more modern version.

The bird stamp is from Rosie's Studio, the sentiment stamps are from Winnie and Walter 'The Big, the Bold and the Happy' and the enamel dots from Papervine.

I have five other challenges I would like to link this too:

Seize the Birthday Challenge (Anything Goes)


Simon Says Stamp - Monday Challenge (Pastels)

Simon Says Stamp - Wednesday Challenge (Happy Birthday)

Simply Create Too Challenge # 82 (Anything Goes)

Curtain Call Challenge (New Beginnings)


I must go and lie down for a bit. A huge dinner of roast chicken and then peach and apple pie for dessert has left me feeling rather round and slow. Although, I might be best to lie down in bed as I may not be able to get up again....thank goodness tomorrow is a holiday too!!

Take care
Shona
 

 

13 comments:

  1. Just beautiful Sho! Such a fabulous take on a baby card and a lovely spring feeling for the cue too! Thanks so much for joining in the fun at CASology this week! Am also feeling a bit well rounded after dinner at my folks tonight! Lucky to be spoilt! Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beauty! Love the soft color, it's perfect for the bird!
    Thanks so much for playing along with us over at Seize the Birthday!
    Anni

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just simply one gorgeous card Shona! I love your take on spring, so peaceful and serine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet baby card! I love the original design and that color of Teal is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely work! Thanks so much for joining us at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog! - Ashli :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Easter, Shona! I love that definition of spring (had never heard that one -- I just learned something new, too!) -- and I love the your creative process led you. This is beautiful! Thanks for joining us this week at CASology!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the simplicity. Thank you for sharing with us at Simply Create Too - Myrna DT

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely light and fresh!!! I always love seeing your unique point of view, so creative!

    Thanks for joining us at CASology this week for the SPRING challenge!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shona I love your take on Spring... and was just thinking about Green-winged Teals yesterday! Thanks for gorgeous card, and the lesson in ducks!
    =] Michele

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a beautiful, serene card.
    Thank you for joining us at Simon says Stamp Wednesday Challenge.
    Luv
    Debby

    ReplyDelete
  11. So pretty and serene, Shona ... what a fabulous modern take on a new baby card! My designs usually evolve too ... they start off one way and usually end up completely different from the original idea! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous and ingenious, Shona! Such a fresh take on a baby card; a treasured keepsake for new parents! Love this! Peach and apple pie...oh my! Sounds delicious!
    Hugs~c

    ReplyDelete
  13. nike free run australia sale know you are breaking the law. lutching a rubber nike SB Stefan Janoski Max sale truncheon chased C australia sale leader, pointing to nike free run australia sale cheap says. cheap pick up a tomato, bite, and then align the lead chased fiercely smashed up face. nike free run nike free run australia sale Boy, you want to do. nike free og 2014 sale Dry actually assaulted the officer, and you can.

    ReplyDelete